Competent Roofer Scheme and Part L regulations

Most people considering having a new roof are not aware of recent legislation that makes it necessary to notify your Local Authority Building Control when having major works undertaken.

That is unless the work is carried out by an installer who is registered with the Competent Roofer Scheme. This applies to both pitched and flat roofs.

Kirbys Roofing (Widnes) Ltd are accredited members of the National Federation of Roofing Contractors, Competent Roofer Scheme, and is the only roofing company in Widnes that is part of this scheme.

We can self-certify any roof work we carry out, thus avoiding the need for a building notice application and costs.

What is Competent Roofer?

Competent Roofer is a Government authorised scheme that allows members of the scheme to self-certify for Building Regulations any refurbishment work for domestic, commercial and industrial roofing.

What will happen if you do not comply with the building regulations?

If you do not comply, you and or your contractor could be prosecuted and could face a fine of up to £5000.

The work may not be safe, it may not comply with building regulations. or meet energy efficiency standards.

This will be important when you come to sell your home as you may be asked to provide certificates of compliance before you can sell.

Why should I use a Roofer who is registered with the Competent Roofer Scheme?

A roofer registered with the Competent Roofer Scheme is qualified to carry out specific types of work in accordance with building regulations and will deal with Building Control issues for you. You will have access to insurance backed warranties and a robust complaints procedure to use in the unlikely event work is found to be non-compliant.

A Roofer registered with the Competent Roofer Scheme will notify the local authority on your behalf and will issue you with a certificate on completion, which can be used as proof of compliance. It will also show up on a solicitor’s local authority search when you sell your home.

If you do not use a roofer registered with the Competent Roofing Scheme then you will have to submit a building notice or full plans application and pay a fee to have Building Control come and inspect the work you have carried out.